My birthday is next week. It is one of those milestone years. You can guess what year. I want this Belle cake. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie and Belle is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. Every time I take one of those goofy Which Disney character are you? tests, I always get Belle. Did you know that a live action Beauty and the Beast is coming out next year?
Things that made me happy this week
I’ve been an avid reader all of my life, but have never joined a book club. This week, some friends (Maggie from Bright Ideas Press, Kim from WriteShop, Jolanthe from Homeschool Creations, and Kendra from HomeschoolIRL) and I started a book club. A cyber book club, entirely online. Our first book is going to be The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. We have lofty goals too…making sure everyone gets through this list.
Something I’ve made
Does a puzzle count? This is a fascinating 4D puzzle of New York City. The puzzle is built in layers, showing the history of the development of the city. I am not really sure where to put this when I finish, so I’ll probably just take it apart and put the pieces back in the box.
From around the web
- Are You Helping Your Husband Follow His Dreams?
- How to Plan Your Trip to Europe – I need all the help I can get right now, because I have no clue how in the world we are going to narrow the places down. I know we are only going to the UK, but Scotland? Ireland? Wales? England? All 4? We have so many decisions to make, but luckily have plenty of time to make them.
- Name that sword! How well do you know your TV and film swords? I have never seen several of these shows and movies, but still got a 100%
- 19 Children’s Book Quotes That Are Still Incredibly Relevant To Adults
- Real-life astronaut fulfills dream of playing fake astronaut on Star Trek
- Are You More Like Spock Or Data? This was terrible, making me choose between my two favorite Trek characters. My result was Spock. Live long and prosper. Brent Spiner, who plays Data, will be at our local Comic Con next month!
Books that I know you’ll love
I finally read The Giver and couldn’t put it down. My son has read the entire series, so I have a lot of catching up to do. I read The Ten Commandments: The Significance of God’s Laws in Everyday Life by Dr. Laura, 3 history books by Morgan Llywelyn, and I just started The Last Kingdom, a book I discovered from a BBC commercial.
All of these books can be read on Oyster, with just a $9.99 per month subscription.
In our homeschool
After taking a few weeks off, we are now back to school full time this week. Our school district started on Tuesday, so to celebrate our freedom, my son had several friends over and one ended up staying the night. Lots of history, math, science, engineering and logic are taking place this year! Now that our bookshelves are 100% organized, there are many things that we forgot we had and now want to use this year.
On my blog, in case you missed it
- Win a History Timeline Gift Basket, part of iHN’s gift basket giveaway event.
- Timeline Resources for Homeschooling History – see how I plan our timeline.
- 100 Shoebox Ideas for a Boy – Operation Christmas Child collection week will be here before you know it!
- 40 Fiction Books for Boys
*Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links.